My earliest memory of coconut rice wasn’t all that bad, although I didn’t care for it so much at the time and I was a child but somehow the memory of that coconut rice lived in my head for a while so I expected the subsequent taste to live up to the standard but I was rudely disappointed and I guess that’s when I lost all interest in coconut rice. Years down that road, I went to a friends place and guess what she offered me? “Coconut Rice” well I couldn’t deny, It smelt divine so I dug in and the rest is history;
Today I bring you the nigerian coconut rice recipe with a twist;
What you’ll need:
- 1 Cup Meat stock (chicken stock, turkey stock or beef stock )
- 200g Fresh shrimp
- 3 Cups rice
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil/ Butter or Canola oil
- 2 Whole Coconuts Or Coconut Milk
- 1 Red bell pepper or 4 chilies
- Spring onions
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Green pepper
- 2 Seasoning cubes or more to taste
- Salt to taste
What You Need To Do;
- Place clean rice into a pot, add enough water and cook for 10 minutes. Pour into a seive and douse in cold water to remove excess starch.
- Break and remove coconut skin, Pound in a mortar an squeeze out the juice.
- Pour the milk into a clean pot then add the rice, meat stock, shrimps, seasoning and salt to taste. Cover and leave to cook for 15 minutes till liquid dries.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, chop spring onions, bell peppers and carrot into tiny bits.
- Melt butter or pour vegetable oil into a non stick pan and stir fry chopped vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add stir fried vegetables into the dry rice and mix together, leave to cook for 5 minutes before turning off the burner.
Recipe Source: Dobby’s Signature.
What twist/Ingredient do you add to your coconut rice to make it tastier, Share with us in the comment section below.
If you have got an amazing style game and you want to showcase it to the world. Send us an email at [email protected] Who knows? We might just feature you!
This article was brought to you by the awesome Madivas Team!