I’ve always been a wig person, and this week I decided my natural hair needed a breather so I fell safely back on my most trusted wig (shhhh don’t tell anybody I have it on). I’ve been using this particular hair for quite a while (the human hair kind) and it hasn’t thin out, the only difference is the loss of color (it used to be a 1b now its a color 2b or so) but still once its nurtured and primed it looks absolutely gorgeous (like right now) and a lot of people would go Oh I love your hair, Your hair looks good, What kind of hair is this? Its beautiful…. The reason why they love my hair is because I take proper care in maintaining it and that’s the reason why after this while it still looks good (best thing I splurged on).
If you want your wigs to last long and still look good then this is how you maintain them; steps to washing your hair the right way:
1. It is usually advised to wash your wig after the 6-8 wearing during which you can simply air dry it.
2. Before you wash your wig, you must gently brush it through with a wig comb or a big tooth comb, this should help de-tangle your wig.
3. When shampooing your wig follow this steps:
- Add one table spoon of wig shampoo or any other good shampoo into a basin of cold water.
- immerse the wig for about a minute.
- Gently run your fingers over the inside of the cap to remove oils and sweats (be gently with this)
- Rinse the shapoo off in a basin or running cold water.
- Blot the wig gently with a towel (do not squeeze).
4. Just like you condition your hair, your wig needs conditioning as well:
- The wig should still be wet when you want to condition.
- Apply a small amount of conditioner and rub together on your palms before applying gently on the hair strands avoiding the cap.
- Thoroughly rinse the conditioner out of the hair with cold water after a few minutes.
- Note that you can also use conditioning spray on your wig; do this lightly.
5. Now even drying comes with specifics which must be followed:
- When drying its best to air dry leaving the wig on a wig stand so that air would circulate . you can also place it on a slender object if you do not own a wig stand.
- Do not comb the wig while its wet.
- Do not dry on a Styrofoam head.
- Do not dry it in direct sunlight.
I believe you’ve learnt a thing or two that can enable you take proper care of your wig.
If you have got an amazing style game and you want to showcase it to the world. Send us an email at [email protected] Who knows? We might just feature you!
This article was brought to you by the awesome Madivas Team!